Saturday, February 8, 2014

Nicole Barnett Attempts to Read Chapter Book to Children

I'm Nicole Barnett, and I've been dreading this post for the past two weeks now. I am so glad to know Nora, but now that I'm reading through these entries, I wish I got to go to high school with all you amazing ladies! Nora and I met in West Jordan at our gym (before she up and moved, wah!). We would squeeze in a little chit chat during our warm up and after class. We were in the same stake. She ran with me a few times while I was training for my first (only?) half-marathon. I so enjoyed her visits in that chilly morning hour.

I call myself a native Californian (Merced), but I've been in Utah since '98, and I consider it home. I love raising our family here. My husband, Chad, and I have 5 beautiful children. I'd like to say I spend my spare time reading classics and doing Family History research, but the truth is I'm currently on a British show binge. Downton Abbey, Call the Midwife, Lark Rise to Candleford, David Copperfield, The Paradise, Sherlock, you name it. I also really enjoy using the internet to find recipes that use the ingredients I have on hand.

Here we are, wearing Santa hats my dad knitted for us. Kids are ages 12, 11, 9, 7, and 3. Jack, the dog, is a Boston Terrier, and is very naughty.

The goal I set for January was to read a chapter book to whomever would willingly participate. Which meant probably not the older boys. They read whatever they're interested in at bedtime. I've read chapter books to my kids; that's not new. But I hadn't done it for some time. When they were younger, they loved the Junie B. Jones type books, American Girl books, and The Tale of Despereaux. I've always read to our young children. But now, with my Matthew being almost 4 years younger that the next sibling, I have left the girls to their own devices at bedtime, while my focus has been picture books with Matthew. I felt like my girls and I were missing out on some valuable reading time together.

After some thought, and persuasion by one son who loves the series, I decided on "Warriors: Into the Wild."

 

 It started off great for the first couple of weeks. The girls were fascinated, and complained when I folded the page over for lights out. But then my 9 year-old Ella decided she couldn't wait for bedtime to read.

(Okay, she isn't actually reading "Into the Wild" here, but it's all I've got.)

She ended up reading so far ahead of us, it became problematic at bedtime. So we chucked the whole thing. Now she reads out on the couch, and my 7 year-old, Mira, joins Matthew and me for reading. She reads a book or two to me, and I read a couple to them. So it didn't turn out how I intended, but it works.

16 comments:

Catherine said...

First of all, how cute that your DAD knitted those hats! That is so fun. I've got a kid that likes to read ahead too, but then she comes back and listens to us read while she inserts spoilers for the rest of us. Little stinker! Sounds like fun even if I'd didn't turn out quite like you had imagined.

Nora Mair said...

Oh Nicole, how I miss those gym classes. Even when I lived on my bike for a whole summer, I could come back and you were there, just as nice and encouraging as ever. I miss you and Josie's boot camp class!
I lost my groove when my kids got older and their tastes for different genres were changed and so were their bed times! After Christmas I started Charlotte's Web with Stuart (6), but after the first few chapters he asked me to read him the diary of a wimpy kid books. They're so dumb but boys of a certain age just love them...There really is nothing like reading a page turner to your own kids. Some of my favorites back when we were in the groove: Indian in the Cupboard, Holes, Tuck Everlasting, and Harry Potter.
ps I love your hats and your naughty dog looks well loved!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the encouraging words, ladies. My dad is talented, what can I say? I will have to give those chapter books you suggested a try, Nora.

Jillian said...

Reading with my kids is not something that I enjoy so I super impressed!!

Holli said...

That is inspirational for me! I really would love to start reading a chapter book to my children. I read picture books to the little ones, but the older ones get the shaft... Thank you!

Unknown said...

Oooh-- I'm going to check out those British shows! I love anything BBC. Sounds like you've got a house full of readers! I do too and I love it! Sometimes we love to listen to audio books because I have jaw issues and its difficult to read aloud for too long. Plus, the narrators are usually actors and they ham it up! Thanks for sharing!!

Jennifer said...

I giggled at your words of reading to whomever would willingly participate. It's an uphill battle to find read-alouds engaging for a spread of ages, that's for sure. My family has liked Matilda, Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH and the Percy Jackson series.

Meg said...

I think that it's awesome that you tried reading with your kids, even if it didn't turn out exactly how you wanted it to. I've been trying to start chapter books with my 6 year old but nothing has worked out past the first two chapters yet :/. I'm sure it's hard with the spread of ages... but keep trying! I have great memories of my dad doing this with us when we were little.

Erin Bee said...

I love the suggestions of books that your post inspired. I have a first grader and so I think all we read is those paperbacks from the school and library. Not fun! I need to read to all of my kids.

Anonymous said...

It's tricky to divide bedtime reading between everyone, isn't it?

Anonymous said...

Oh, audiobooks are awesome. My kids' favorites are Harry Potter, Magic Tree House, A to Z Mysteries, and Percy Jackson. The only problem is they end up staying up later because they're glued to the story. So we've had to limit audiobooks to weekend nights. My Ella is so mad about it!

Anonymous said...

Percy Jackson is a huge hit at out house! Rats of NIMH? Is that like The Secret of NIMH? I'll have to check out your recommendations.

Anonymous said...

All my kids around age six really enjoyed the Magic Tree House series, A to Z Mysteries, and Junie B. Jones. Maybe those would interest yours...?

Anonymous said...

Yeah, it can be hard...you're only one person, right? Can't be two places at once.

Michelle said...

Thanks for the book suggestions too. My husband is the reader around here and we are currently going throug all the Harry Potters. I find it is my little kids that are lacking, becuase they aren't too interested in staying still and listening. I'll have to grab my big baby (4 year old) and have a cuddle and a good story.

Unknown said...

great idea!