Saturday, February 1, 2014

Nora Mair, January, Blog once a week

My January goal was to write on my family blog once a week and I did it!  It's social, it has value, and I'm hoping to do it for the whole year.
History:  I started a blog thinking it would be a good stepping stone to digital scrap booking.  When I realized it was a virtual scrap book I didn't look back.
Here are some tips that helped me back into it:
Sunset Beach in Washington
  1. I found the cord that connected to the computer so I could transfer my camera pictures to a folder on the computer I can find.  Not too hard I know, but not having photos made giving up so easy. 
  2. If I plan a time to run, ride, or make dinner, I do them.  I decided to do a weekly write up on Sunday.  However even last Sunday, I was too tired and ended up finishing Monday morning. 
  3. Get over my published misspellings and errors.  I'll just correct.   
  4. Remembering that my own words are entertaining to me and going back to read them is a lot like reading an old journal.  I'll enjoy the product.   
  5. Keeping it simple.  Trying not to feel like I have to remember to mention everything.  Just a few things each week is more than nothing
  6. Remembering to not take myself too seriously.  One time, maybe 4 years ago, a friend read my archives and said, "I think you do it well, you're good at it"  I immediately stopped blogging for 6 months!  Why?  I couldn't figure it out.  Brene Brown says that it's not just the fear of failure that can stop us but also the fear of success.  Being responsible for others positive expectations (not disappointment) is pressure and a paralyzer (not a word).  There you go. 
  7. I've sat down to write up a post and remembered nothing so I've started keeping notes.  In the notes section on my phone, I’ll list things that happened during the week that I could mention.  My own rememberall!    
  8. I realized just how much time I spent on the computer doing things where I was choosing not to engage (Facebook & Feedly), no action (Pintrest) & no reflection (Netflix), Trying to channel my free time to what benefits: writing about me and my family and also putting together Project(s)Connect.
  9. I've used Windows Live Writer to type up and publish my posts starting about 2009.  I really like being able control where the pictures go and be able to edit and crop them.  However blogger is more user friendly now compared to the “old days”.  Not as easy as Facebook but easier.   
Jason Kottke wrote that the blog is dead, or if you did have one, you were over 40, with kids.  ding, ding, ding.   I’m sure he’s right for blogs that were making money off of advertizing.   

I’m open for newer easier too.   In fact I saw a scrapbook app for Instagram, where you could write, right on the photo and edit with embellishments and fonts.  Maybe I’ll try that out.  But for now I’m sticking to the blog for the “setup”.  You come to me if you want an update and it’ll be here, at least what I remember to share.   And then I’ll have a record. 

I loved knowing I’d be held accountable for this goal.  It was a genuine motivator.  If you have any advice or if you keep a blog and would love a reader, I’ll “come to you”.    It’s true the blog is dead, do you miss it?  Oh but remember when we all just emailed?  And forwarded? and were forwarded to?  sheesh we’ve come a long way.

PS  Photos of a trip to Crater Lake and the Oregon Coast at the end of the summer. But not Isaac, it was a Glo-Ree-Us remember-why-and-who-I'm-married-to-trip...       


14 comments:

Jillian said...

Writing on your blog is such a great goal!! I am a digital scrapbooker and I feel like I can't just write on the blog because I should be making a page. It is silly because nothing gets done that way and I really love blogs! I feel like you really get to know people. I've enjoyed catching up on your blog! I've always thought you were so fun and it is fun to read about your family! Way to go!!

Nora Mair said...

Thanks Jillian. And thanks for reading ye 'ol blog. Do you print 12 x12? Have you ever used persnickety prints? I'm looking to print up some birthday pages this year.

Jillian said...

I haven't used persnickety prints. I use blurb. I print a book each year for my parents as a Christmas gift. It's nice because it makes me keep up on my scraping :)

Unknown said...

I just finished my first blog book from 2007!!! I still need to send it in to get printed but it's done and I loved being reminded of all the little things that I forgot. I love your posts, keep it up!!

Meg said...

Way to go Nora! I liked reading your posts each week this month, sorry that I don't comment. I usually read blogs now days on my phone. Such a good idea to just update once a week on what was note worthy.

Jennifer said...

I've always loved reading your blog because your writing is so conversational. Your literary voice is as genuine as you are.

Michelle said...

Yay Nora! I love your blog too! I have a friend that puts a link on facebook everytime she posts on her blog. Without it, I forget to check. It's soooo fun to see your house coming together!

Kass said...

Nora, nice work. I'm excited to read your blog again...especially now that you're posting regularly. You have always reminded me of Sis. Hinckley (have I told you that before?) with your wit, keepin'-it-real perspective, and inspiring posts. I wish you were my next door neighbor. What an awesome way to record your family history. We'll talk more on the family blog.

Becky said...

Nora you are the best!! I love that you're blogging about your family again and I love that you put this blog together!

Unknown said...

Nora-- I love you!!

Unknown said...

I think you are one incredible woman.

Catherine said...

After reading this, I went in search of an app to chronicle my photos. I found some really fun photo journaling apps and started journaling all the pics on my phone while nursing my baby. Thanks for the inspiration!

Erin Bee said...

Crazy Nora, I really don't know anyone that takes on as many projects as you (and pregnant). Whoo! You make me so tired. But, I'm so glad that you blogged every week. Your blogs are fun and I miss seeing your kids grow up. They are the cutest (after mine, of course)

Unknown said...

You are amazing!