Sunday, May 4, 2014

Meg Lingard - Make a quilt that matches my living room/ April

I bypassed my original April goal and moved onto May because I felt like I would need longer than one month to make a quilt. I'm so glad that I got started on this one early! I've been wanting to make a new quilt for our living room to cuddle with while we watch movies. The quilt that we have been using is super comfortable, but not really my style. It's a flannel quilt that my in laws tied for us when we got married 11 years ago. Though it is super comfy it's a little hard on the eyes when I want my living room to be all matchy/matchy...
 


I've debated over the colors of my living room for quite some time but I think I've finally settled on a good color scheme. I love brown and green (I'm an earth tone kind of girl). I've also finally decided to fully embrace my love of teal, now that it has trickled it's way into every room in my house (I even have a teal broom and tea pot now... oh my). I've been holding back because teal is such a trendy color right now (it will be the forest green and peach of our day I'm sure) but I really do love it, so greens and teals it is!

I ordered this great Ikat fabric to make throw pillows with and decided to go with those colors plus brown for the quilt.

 
Not sure why I did this but I consulted with my husband on how to do the quilt (better to find out his opinion before I spent all the time and money putting it together) and his only request was that it didn't have a lot of white in it. What?!?! I love white in quilts! Seriously... however, he had a good reason which is we will be using this quilt to watch movies with and I'm sure buttery popcorn and cookies will be smeared on this from time to time. So I decided to try a quilt with minimal white. The method to this quilting madness was to get a solid fabric of each color and then two prints that went with that color. Most of the prints I just used from my fabric stash.
 


I wanted to try the pinwheel/half square quilt for fun and I followed this tutorial. Oh my... sort of tedious. I love sewing and crafting but I get bored easily (which is why I have put this off forever). But I just kept plugging away at it every day when I had some time. Once all my half squares were done I sewed four of them together randomly like this:


And this is where I was at by the end of April:


These are not sewn together, just laid out for a basic idea. I was a little nervous as to how it would look together... sort of busy for me, but I like it! I do think that I need one more row on top and on the side so I need to keep working on the top. But hopefully I will have it done by the end of May.

May goal: Finish quilt.

10 comments:

The Glitch Boys said...

I love it! That's a talent I wish I had.

Unknown said...

Gorgeous!

Becky said...

So pretty! Good advice from the husband. Can't wait to see the finished product!

Jennifer said...

I love your colors, and it looks amazing! Like you, I love teal. I have all my life (the wardrobe in my sixth grade pictures proves it!) So I also worry about it's trendiness. "The forest green and peach of our day," say it isn't so!

Your boys are darling. Thank you for your kind words.

Jennifer said...

*its trendiness. sigh

dandreah said...

It's beautiful! Congratulations!

Nora Mair said...

It looks amazing! I've said this before but you are truly gifted when it comes to creativity. Such skill and vision to put it together with out following someones pattern. Your boys are just adorable--The chubby one is really growing up!

Unknown said...

I'm not sure which one is cuter- the quilt or the chubby cheeks baldy!! Good work in both regard:)

Anonymous said...

Looks so great! I have never made anything like it, so I'm terribly impressed. And I keep thinking the same thing about Teal being a trendy color. But I do so love it!

Vanessa Sutton said...

What a beautiful quilt! I really love the combinations of colors and prints you chose.