Saturday, September 20, 2014

Amber Smith, August- Take, Edit, Print and Display kids' pics

For Christmas one year my husband surprised me with a Nikon SLR camera, and while I am far from a professional photographer, I enjoy taking pictures of my kids.  Photography is a creative outlet for me, a decidedly non-creative person!

My goal for August was to take and edit my kids' pictures myself, and then print and display them instead of leaving them on my computer for the next 10 years!  Unfortunately, this goal involved the agency of my kids and their consent to getting their pictures taken.  This is an easy an enjoyable thing for my girls, but "torture" and "a waste of time" for my eight-year-old son, to use his words.  I really wanted to get these pictures taken before the kids went back to school, but my son kept asking for an extension and August has come and gone without a formal picture being taken of him.  There's always school pictures, right?

So I ended up with 2/3 of my goal completed!
Sadie, age 2

Abbie, age 6

We took these pictures outside the Oquirrh Mountain Temple.  To keep it low stress (for me) I didn't agonize over finding them the perfect outfits and spending a fortune, but let them choose what they wanted to wear.  Bonus- these pictures show exactly what they look like at this age, not some fancified version.  

Here they are displayed on my gallery wall.


The coloring of the pictures looks great on my computer, but I'm not completely thrilled with how they look printed.  Not sure if it's the image resolution of my computer of the quality of the printing.  Any expert opinions?

3 comments:

Nora Mair said...

I'm no expert, I think they look fantastic! I like that you let them pick out what they wanted to wear and it's real. Way to go Amber! You did it!

Jennifer said...

Darling girls. I like your philosophy of capturing them in their true selves. How cute that your daughter has a doodle on her hand!

The Glitch Boys said...

You're girls are gorgeous. I need to get out and do the same thing.