Monday, February 10, 2014

Becky Beck - Window Treatments in My Bedroom

Hello to all of you lucky people who are connected to Nora Jane in one way or another!
My name is Becky Beck and I live in Taylorsville Utah, just 2 miles from the home I grew up in.  Nora and I went to Granger High School together and she and my sister Tricia Braunersrither were best friends. 
Nora, I feel like it was our trip to the junk store just over a year ago that really created a bond between us and I just love you to pieces and can't wait to come visit you in your new house and squeeze your new baby boy.

I am the mother of 8.
From top to bottom and left to right... Emmy is 17 and counting the days until she leaves for USU in the fall, Dakota is 15 and has just discovered girls--which is a good thing since I no longer have to nag him to shower and brush his teeth, Jackson turns 20 this month and is serving an LDS mission in Sao Paulo Brazil, Kloe is 12 and is always singing or complaining about having to practice the violin, Lilly turns 3 this month and she has given us a run for our money from the day she was born, Janie is 5 and loves all things Spiderman, Gracie is 9 and so far my easiest girl--very little drama or complaining.  We have one more son, Kevin Jr who is serving a mission in heaven.
My husband Kevin and I have been married for almost 21 years and been together since our Sophomore year in High School.
I love being a homemaker!  My husband, kids and house are my hobbies.  I love to do projects around the house.  It's always fun to take something you have and make it better.


For this months project I replaced my vertical blinds in our bedroom.  How these have managed to still be here after 8 years, I have no idea.  I never liked them.

BEFORE...



Cleaned out this guy while I was at it.


THE TOOLS...



THE PROCEDURE...


I decided to enlist the help of my dad (Papa Tom) for this project.  He and my mom are quite the travelers these days visiting kids and grandkids in Washington, Arizona, and Texas.  They are home for a few weeks so I thought it was a good way to spend time with my dad AND be productive.
And...if I'm being honest here, my dad pretty much did the entire project for me.



I started this project in December by shopping for a rod and curtains.
I found a curtain rod for $13. at Ross right away but I had trouble finding the curtains.
I went to every Ross in the area and even had my BFF Marci check out the Ross stores in Davis County.  I wanted dark brown, room darkening curtains and couldn't find them so I settled for dark brown, semi-see-through curtains.





There's a glimpse of them.
I couldn't get used to being able to see through them so I waited a couple of weeks and gave Ross another try and found EXACTLY what I was looking for plus they are insulated.
I only spent about $36. for the curtains.




AFTER...





(Lilly and Janie trying out my camping mat turned yoga mat--stay tuned for next month's project)


I can not do a project without a quote from one of my favor mentors "D" (Daryl Hoole)...

D says Some women have felt the career as a homemaker an insult to their intelligence and abilities.  Actually, running a home challenges any other role in requiring intelligence, ingenuity, and abilities unnumbered.  It can offer the most noble accomplishment and can bring the greatest joy and satisfaction of any type of work.  We women must be proud to be homemakers.

15 comments:

Donna and Bevan said...

I love how Ross is so hit and miss, but when you DO find something for really cheap, it's the best feeling ever! Those curtains look amazing!

Vanessa Sutton said...

Yea Beck! Imho vertical blinds are a just wretched...what a transformation! Ross is go to for widow treatments here. The rods are inexpensive and stuff rotates through for choices. So glad you're in on the gig. And your Papa Tom is an impressive helper!

Melissa said...

You just inspired me to do the same. We just moved into our condo with vertical blinds. Bleck!

Melissa said...

You just inspired me to do the same. We just moved into our condo with vertical blinds. Bleck!

Jennifer said...

Thank you for including that quote. It's a great antidote to my regular Monday cleaning doldrums. I definitely need to take more pride in being a homemaker.

Meg said...

Those look so great! I bet it makes such a big difference in how your room feels. I should check out Ross, we need something that is room darkening as well.

On a side note... our parents are in the same ward! I got married around the time their wards merged, but I've met your parents many times, great people. I went to high school with your sister Kim, I'm just a few years younger than her. It's great to see you on here! Small world (small Utah ;)).

Erin Bee said...

It's the little things that bug you that take forever to change. Good job on getting inspired to fix it and having your dad help you. Nora has always been a great motivator and our neighborhood isn't the same without her.

Unknown said...

I'm impressed that you held out until you found exactly what you want, the curtains look great! I also loved your words on homemaking, you don't here it much these days.

Kass said...

They look awesome! What a fantastic family you have! 8 is great!

Anonymous said...

The window treatment looks awesome, but I have to say I am most impressed with the sparkling runner you cleaned out! Looks brand-spanking new!

ATL said...

You cleaned out the window gutter?!?!?!?!?! My hero.

Michelle said...

They turned out great!! I love it when everything falls into place!

Michelle said...

I forgot to add that my family are HUGE USU fans. Steve and I both graduated from USU and we have season bball and football tickets. I remember reading the the new student orientation book every night all summer before I went. I have the best college memories! Such a great school!

utdaisy said...

Those are so pretty ! I've been wanting to do that to our bedroom door (we have nothing on them !) but I am such a slacker!

Unknown said...

What a difference that makes!