Saturday, March 1, 2014

Nicholle Slocum-January 2014: Print off Blog from 2013

     Hi! I am so excited to be a part of this awesome project connection. I have loved reading about all of your projects and have really been inspired. When I read about this project, I immediately knew that I wanted to be a part of it. I have a lot of things that I want to get done and always have a million reasons why they don't get done! Nora and I were roommates at SUU. Although,I don't know her as Nora. When she first moved in to our apartment, our roommate made a connection with Nora to Pete's Dragon. From that time on at SUU she was knows as PD. Big "P" Big "D". Like all of you, I instantly fell in love with PD. I learned to eat ice cream with cocoa puffs and melt chocolate chips over banana's and freeze them for a tasty treat! I never saw her cross or upset while I lived with her. She taught me what a Christlike person is really like. She helped my testimony grow in the gospel and I will forever be thankful for her for that! 
      Last year, I made a goal to write on my personal blog once a week. I really feel like keeping a journal is important, but am terrible at it. I felt like this is a good way to keep a journal and family history all in one place. I wasn't perfect at writing once a week, but I feel like I documented things that were important to me. As I got ready to print it into a book I really hesitated. I didn't know if I wanted my writing in a book for more people to see/judge. I only have one follower on my blog (well, maybe two now with PD). I usually post pretty quickly and make quite a few mistakes in my writing. However, I decided that printing was more important. So, I did it. I used a company called blog to print. I used this company because my sister in law had used them, and I love her books. I also had a coupon. I have heard that blurb is fantastic as well. I was surprised at how simple the process.  After you create an account you will then give permission to access your blog. Then, you will give them the dates that you want published. For some reason, I had to extend my dates a few days because it wasn't picking up where I wanted my book to end (only frustrating part).  It will also ask you if and where you want your page breaks. I chose not to create page breaks, only to save me a little money.  You will also be able to choose where you want your text.  I was able to choose a front cover and a back cover and what I wanted on the binder as well as the size. I chose an 8x10, so that it will fit nicely on a book shelf. I wondered I'd I would want larger, but I am quite happy with the size.  The only thing I didn't like is that I couldn't change the font or size of font on the cover and binding. My book has 106 pages and it cost mr around $55.00. It is beautiful and we have all loved sitting down and looking at it! Thanks for inspiring me yet again...PD!
Here is the front cover...

Inside page layout (you can choose to have your text under each picture, I will probably do that next time). You can see the continuation of one post on the top and the start of two more posts.
Front and Back Covers...
Here is the beginning of my table of contents. I also have a dedication page.




10 comments:

The Glitch Boys said...

Which company did you use? and how did the process worked to get it printed? I love the idea of having a hard copy.

Jillian said...

I love the cover! Was it hard to get the book to look how you wanted? I would love to see pictures of a few pages. I have always wondered how a blog book would turn out.

Nicholle said...

Thanks for your comments, and questions. I just did a bit of editing and hopefully answered your questions!

Anonymous said...

I love that you did this! I've had our blog printed up at Christmastime for the past 5 years with Blog to Print. (It looks like the same format you're using.) It is one of the things my kids look forward to most at Christmas, opening up that blog book. It is all about them, us, trips, birthdays. It's a great way to recall all those events, even just daily life. Wonderful!

Nora Mair said...

The magic of the internet! Nicholle, what a cool thing, I'm so impressed, thanks for indulging us with more info and pictures. I'm doing this at the end of the year and am thrilled with the resource you're giving. I'm so excited that you're doing the project. I have very fond memories moving in with you--It was perfect timing. And I'm sure that tap dancing class I took and always "practiced" drove you and Melissa nuts! and you kept me on anyway. And Nicole, I didn't know you kept a blog. Off to hunt you down.

Anonymous said...

Haha, Nora. It's private, so I just sent you an invite via email. :)

utdaisy said...

Looks great! What a fun way to document your year!

Meg said...

Way to go! It turned out great! I'm sure this will be a family treasure for you guys. This is my goal in a few months so I appreciate your insight.

Jennifer said...

I need to do this too, but I'm concerned I may need to resize all my photos first. When I first started blogging my pictures were 72 psi so they loaded faster; I never considered that I'd want to print a book from the blog. Anyone have thoughts on picture resolution? Also, can you print comments, and if so can you pick and choose which comments? Some of my blog comments added to the posts, you know.

Unknown said...

I totally want to do this!