Saturday, March 1, 2014

Nora Mair, February, Hang up 50 Things

For my February project I had a goal of hanging up 50 things.  When I made my goal, I really assumed I'd have a whole month to do it, however we didn't move in until the 14th, of a very short month...so I was going to be happy with 25. 

Confession:  I struggle with this.  In my last house, I bought curtains, brackets, and rod for a guest bedroom and they sat near the the window sill for, oh, more than a year.  Guests would come, and I'd set a goal to get that room "ready".  I'd run out of time and stash away the goods until the next guest would schedule a visit and I'd pull it all out and get ready to hang it, and then pack it up again because...I don't know why.  Wall anchors are daunting?  Drilling holes with pilot holes into studs are scary?  What if I don't like it?  And measuring...oh the measuring, paralysis!

Woman all over the world are figuring out how to hang up window panels and heavy mirrors, I can too!

Here's my report:  Some of it was easy.

#1  Nail up Ansel Adams:  Favorite calendar 14 years running!
#2  Shower curtain rod and hooks. 
#3  Clock in the kitchen (Donna hung this)
#4  Laundry room clock
#5  Half bath clock
#6  Paper Towel holder, (Donna too)
#7  Butterfly

Harder: (2 anchors for each window)
#7-10 Front room window panels (mismatched because I need to get a second set of the Borghild)
#11-14  Family room rods and grommet panels.  (Ross for rods and Home Goods for panels)
#15-18 Bedroom windows.  (Need to get rid of the fishbowl but not block too much light?  Consider the Vivan from IKEA, and bang for your buck: $10 for 2 panels.  The rods are $2.99 or $3.99, and brackets $1.50.  $16 for each window and what a difference.   
#19 Wreath

Super hard (had James' help--lifting only with his good shoulder)
#20-21  Mirrors

Cheats:
#22-26  Command hooks by the garage door for coats.  Peel and stick, win win!  

Over the next few week I'm going to make it to 50 and I'll load the pictures for proof even though, technically, the month is over, and I'm not obligated to it anymore (right, Jill?).

Tonight Adelaide asked me if I felt bad I hadn't made my goal all the way and I said, "hey, I used to be wimpy with the drill and ladders and measuring and now I feel that I can do it, and not have to rely on dad."  She agreed and is itching to have me hang the doll shelves, tomorrow.

Have you ever set a goal to do something that you know you'd hate but it was time to learn/do it already?  Thanks Project(s)Connect for the incentive and accountability.  I used you and it payed off.

Next month I'm attacking the lacking spice organization and recipe ridiculousness.  I ordered this already! 

PS about ProjectsConnects:

First of all, Thank You for all the enjoyable and flattering connection intros.  It was like opening a birthday card every morning for a month!  Also, I had no idea how much power, I have to get people to do things. I've got to get a little more serious about my kids and their jobs around the house...no, seriously, thank you, thank you, thank you for doing the project so far.  For putting yourselves out there and sharing what you have done, I've been inspired and it was just the social media switch I needed. It's been awesome.  I'll be sending out a "state of the union address" email later about schedules, posting, promoting, comments, support, pictures, latency (writing up January's goal the end of February) etc.   Carry on. 

11 comments:

Jillian said...

Way to go Nora!! I am super impressed that you stuck to your goal when you had to move in late!! I would still be unpacking. Yay for accountability! :)

Nicholle said...

Very impressive! Cute blue chairs too!

Anonymous said...

Yay! 50 is a big number. :)

utdaisy said...

I'm impressed...I've been in my house for 11 years and I don't think I have 25 things hung...although it sure makes it easy to repaint:)

Meg said...

Awesome! Your house is so pretty! I love the fireplace. I also love that you don't consider your project "failed" even though you didn't get to the end goal you initially wanted. Progress is always great!

Unknown said...

Go Nora Jane! Seriously, just moving in paper plates and cups would be an accomplishment for me if I were in your "condition" of "confinement." Actually, even if I weren't pregnant, I would be patting myself on the back if I had moved into a new house and made the bed. You are amazing and I love you!!!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

You are so ambitious! Good for you!

Jennifer said...

Funny story for you all. I visited Nora and told her my six-year-old saw the picture of her clock and excitedly said, "That's the time I go to recess!" He doesn't know what time it is, mind you, just that he gets to go outside when the hands line up like that. Nora said she actually took the picture at 2:30 a.m. Silly lady. What were you doing up?! Way to go, Nora!

Holli said...

Yea!! You are in your house. That is awesome. Now you can do all the nesting you want!

Unknown said...

Wahoo, 50 things!