Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Nicholle Slocum: Food for 72 Hour Kits...

I knew when I set this goal, it would be a big stretch. I was right. It was beyond my reach. I don't know why, but when something seems too hard for me, I tend to ignore it. I don't know why buying food for 72 hour kits overwhelms me. I guess I don't know where to begin. If someone were to take me to the store and say, "buy this, and this and this." I would do it and everything would be totally fine. We would have food for our 72 hour kits and I wouldn't stress over it like I have for the last 10 years. So, I guess I am going to have to fill in this goal later in the year. I did keep myself busy. Nothing important like 72 hour kits though. We have lived in our house for 10 years now. We still have the original paint throughout the house. Buttercup Yellow! Blah! So, my sister in law came and helped me paint. Versatile Grey. We also painted a coffee table that I found at the DI for $25 and an end table for $10. I also painted my TV stand. I would like the accent colors to be a light sea foam green and light blue. I painted an old window frame and made a wreath out of cupcake liners, but I am still looking for other decorations. We need family pictures done. I would love to hang those in white frames. It's a work in progress.


6 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the grey! If you want a less overwhelming way to do a 72 hour kit there are a few good sites on pinterest. It has you spread the purchasing out over a few weeks and it tells you what to buy every week. This really helped me.

Becky said...

Way to go on the painting!! It all looks fantastic. I felt the same way about 72 hour kits so I ended up buying ready made ones from Lowes --they are 2 person backpacks which I thought was slick! And the food lasts for years so I don't need to update them any time soon :).

Nora Mair said...

I can relate to ignoring things that seem hard! I've never put together a 72 hr kit ever but I've never felt the need to. Crazy right? I have a lot folks I'm responsible for too. They seem like such a great idea but in my mind a great food storage seems more important and useable. And I realize that's the idea--that they really never get used and to just have them ready in case.
I really like the paint and decorating you've done. Looks refreshing and awesome. So what are you working on for next month?

Jennifer said...

I find 72-hour kits daunting, too. One of the connectors here, Stephanie, mentioned her strategy list for getting supplies. The decorating looks great!

Erin Bee said...

I love the grey. I think we all procastinate the things that seem hard. Maybe that's why we're all connectors because Nora know how to push people. I think you should follow Amy's advice because I have seen a bunch of sites that spell it out for you. Or maybe you should make your goal smaller like you're only going to buy half of the stuff one month and half the next month.

Meg said...

72 hour kits are on my list for the year too and man they are super daunting! There are quite a few things on pinterest that have simple checklists and even excel sheets that you can print off and check things off as you get them in. Good luck! Your decorating is so pretty! I love the furniture that you re-did. Beautiful!