Friday, May 2, 2014

Birthdays, April, Dana



How am I supposed to follow a post like Nora's!?  She writes such a beautiful story, I pale in comparison.  And it is as it should be, a new baby is always tops the chart.

My oldest three had birthdays last month and turned 4, 9, and 11, in that order.  Just for fun, here's some birthday trivia about our family.  All six of us are born on odd days of the month. 1 Feb, 9, 13, 29, April 31, May 15 Dec..  Chris and the girls were born in even years.  Me and the boys were born in odd years.  And birthdays come in order, youngest to oldest, with me trailing in at the end.  According to the Chinese, all the boys are farm animals: horse, goat, and rooster.  (I have to laugh.)  The girls and I are all exotic, wild animals: snake, tiger, and dragon.  Fitting?  Yes.

The goal for April was cakes and parties.  And in a sense, I suppose you can say I accomplished it, we threw two friend parties, one family party, with a total of four cakes.  And yet, I wish I'd taken more time, (maybe cancelled home-school lessons??) because everything was thrown together last minute.  When next year comes around, I hope to step it up a bit and be more organized and thoughtful

1st3rd

When it comes to my cakes, let me just explain.  First,  I’ve never taken a cake decorating class.  Second, I no longer bake with white flour, white sugar, or food coloring.  Since my boys have loved tractors and monster trucks and  I love chocolate,  we've compromised nicely over the years.

7th
  8th
9th







But each year the birthday cake request becomes more intense.  A couple years ago, I think we reached the climax of my cake building skills with the earth cake.   (Parsley for the green coloring, red cabbage for the blue :))  Mighty impressive, eh??















So this year, Asia woke up on her birthday asking where her cake was.  I wasn't planning on a cake until the family party.  Oops. With only an hour before I had to leave that morning, I threw together a dinette cake from scratch, made some pink frosting from pureed strawberries and cream cheese and she got a cake for breakfast.  The only thing she wanted.  Oh and a pink smoothie, while the cake baked.



               
Isaac and his army tank (green food coloring: spinach)

Isaac wanted a party that I never got around to planning until the night before.  But really, what do you need to plan for an army party?  Just set up an obstacle course, and plan a Nerf gun war.  We ended up having so much fun that London decided he needed a party as well.












Three days before London's birthday we sent out text invites to his friends, and I was still decorating the cake during the party while they played capture the flag.  Turned out great, in fact, I'm thinking we should plan monthly Nerf gun wars...






Overall, it was a fun month, but next year, I'm seriously taking a break from all other responsibilities so we can focus on building birthday memories and celebrating Easter.

This month's goal:  slow down and engage in imaginative play with my kids.

4 comments:

Nora Mair said...

Ben just went to a birthday party where there was a big nerf gun war in the church cultural hall. He has talked non stop about it and is planning to buy bullets tomorrow for our 8 nerf guns.
What creative cakes and what a challenge to not cook with sugar and white flour. Adaptive baking at it's best. Thanks for your nice words, my post turned out so well because of the subject matter and Robyn's impressive pictures.

Meg said...

Wow!!! I am super impressed with your cake skills! I love the earth cake, that turned out so great! I'm sure that your kids will remember the awesome cakes that you made them and they will remember that you did that because you loved them ;). And I love that you use natural things to color your cakes, makes me want to experiment!

Jennifer said...

Holy cow, that globe is amazing! Did you cook it in two bowls? I am impressed by both the perfect sphere and the well-defined continents.

I would love to learn more about your ban of white flour and white sugar. Do you use whole wheat, or other sources of flour entirely? I'd also love to learn more about your natural color sources. I made a cake with beets once and was enamored with the beautiful pink of the batter, but it baked away to a blah tan.

The Glitch Boys said...

Jennifer,
Yes, I used a pyrex bowl and just cooked two different cakes.

I use mostly whole wheat but experiment with other grains now and then. I use mostly sucanat or honey in my baking, and some xylitol or stevia as well.

Natural food coloring has required lots of experimenting, but I've learned a lot online! Email me if you have any other questions, I'd love to share more :)

danachrisrobb@gmal.com