Friday, July 25, 2014

Amber Smith, June- Complete an Olympic Length Triathlon

Completely this goal is definitely bucket-list worthy!  I've done two sprint distance tri's, both with Nora.  When I got my road bike earlier this year, I told myself this was the year to challenge myself and bump it up to an Olympic triathlon- double the distance of everything.  
Here are the event details:
1 mile open water swim
25 mile bike ride (with what the race described as "challenging climbs")
6.5 mile run

I'll admit- I chickened out in May at registration for the Daybreak Tri and only signed up for the sprint distance.  I had plenty of excuses for why I wasn't ready for the distance in June- the furthest I'd trained on my biked was only 26 miles, I hadn't run more than 4 mores since October, I hadn't done enough block training (one sport followed immediately by another), I didn't have a wet suit for the longer swim, etc.  Luckily my husband and a good friend kept telling me I could do it.  I also realized I'd regret it on race day if I didn't give it a try.

So I decided if I could change my registration, I'd go for the Olympic!  Things kept falling into place- I contacted the race director and all I had to do to change my distance was tell them at packet pick-up the night before the race.  I was planning to rent a wet suit for the longer distance/ time in the water, and I found a used wet-suit to buy for less then the cost of renting one for the day!  And my husband was very supportive of the last-minute extra training sessions, taking care of the kids and even biking the course with me the week of the race.


I felt great the morning of the race.  I love triathlons because I get to start with my favorite thing- swimming!  I felt amazing on the swim and all warmed up for the bike.  I felt fast on the bike and everything seemed to be going so well.  When I got to the transition area after the bike, I thought I could make it through the run without taking my second energy gu.  Big mistake!  Only 1 mile into the run I started to feel sluggish and hungry!  I really regretted not getting the gu.  But I didn't give up!  I pushed myself to keep running even if it was slower than the pace I wanted.  I couldn't let my family see me walking!  I crossed the finish line running and felt so happy I had completed this distance.

And the results:
Time- 2 hr 55 min
5th place in my age group
12th overall
2nd fastest women's swim time!  (I'm proud of this one!)

4 comments:

Nora Mair said...

Terribly impressed. It's the mile in the water that would really do me in, and you're just impressive with your 2nd fastest overall swmim. Way to go! This was the Day Break Triathlon right? And to push yourself when everything fell into place is admirable. What's your next goal? Don't be miffed but I enlarged your pictures for you... So sorry but you and your adorable family are, well, adorable, let's show them off!

Amber said...

Yes, the Daybreak Tri. I don't mind about enlarging the pics, I just uploaded them without sizing them!

Erin Bee said...

This is an impressive goal. I did love doing a sprint triathlon but I'm not sure I want to even try with a longer distance. The swim, the bike and the run all sound daunting. You rock especially on the swim.

Susan said...

Amazing! I'm so happy for you!