Friday, November 28, 2014

Christine Bennee, October, Little things add up, right?!

I have 3 small goals that I have been working on.  I can't believe the year is wrapping up already!

First, being a full-time student while still being the mom, housekeeper, maid, laundress, church lady, neighbor, etc. has been tough.  This semester is one of the last of my science requirements before I head into the learning-how-to-teach part of my degree, so it has been one of the toughest yet.  I was so frustrated at the beginning of my anatomy class because I am usually at the top of my classes and I was barely hanging in the middle.  I was relieved to discover that well over half of my classmates were repeating the course and this was their second time through.  I still wanted good grades so this last month I set a goal to study enough to get an A on my 2 big tests in bio-organic chemistry and anatomy.

Check it out! I had the high score for anatomy and the second highest in chem--both 96%



The second thing I've been working on is running again.  I have been running off and on for about 10 years now.  I have been "off" for the last year or so and really wanted to pick it up again.  I mean, for heaven's sake, I've run a half-marathon and a full triathalon and several 5K and 10Ks plus a relay.  Yet I found myself unable to jog even a mile without stopping. I have used a couch-to-5K before, but I had to memorized a printout and time myself.   I had upgraded to my first smart phone this summer so I wanted an app that would help me.  I remembered Nora telling me about one that tells you when to run and when to walk WHILE you listen to music.  I found this one and I LOVE it!  It even tells me when to turn around and gives little pep talk about 3/4 of the way.  It keeps track of how far I went and what my pace was.  I can now easily run over 3 miles without stopping and am considering continuing with the app that will train me to run a 10K.

The last thing I have been working on is not a very fun one, but had to be done.  I have survived without a budget for years, but it was starting to slip out of hand.  Expenses seemed to be popping up everywhere and I was simply spending too much.  An app again came to the rescue...this one is called Monefy.  I actually tried out a few, but most were much more complicated than what I wanted.  I just wanted to see how much I had spent and how much was left and where my $ was going.
These are from off the internet but show how it works...I wish I had $5000 a month for my spending :)

I just tap that red button whenever I buy something

then enter an amount and hit the "choose category" button at the bottom
then choose the category
It is that easy.  And just like eating and counting calories, the simple act of keeping track of my spending has disciplined me enough that it is well under control now.

3 comments:

The Glitch Boys said...

Congrats on the awesome grades! and thanks for sharing the app ideas. I have been wanting to look for a budget one-and looks like you've adready done the research for me!

Jennifer said...

These are all great accomplishments. My mom finished her college degree when I was married. She still had children at home and never shirked her duties to them. I think her degree meant more to me than my own did -- because I know she sacrificed schooling in the first place when I was a baby. You are a great example for your children, for sure!

Nora Mair said...

Hurray Christine! So proud of the anatomy score! The time you put in paid off. The last two apps crack me up. This is the hey day of free life hacking apps. My most recent one I downloaded was a round timer I use to stretch my Achilles each night and morning. combined with prayer it's six whole minutes of divine every day. YEa for conscience spending.