Friday, November 21, 2014

Holli Gunther's October Goal: Donate Most of our Halloween Candy!

Of all the times to have your internet go down, the night before your post is due is NOT one of them! :)  So, I'm a little late, but here it is:

Like all of us, our children get way to much junk on Halloween! 

So, we decided to let them keep their favorites and then donate the rest.

They decided to give some to our newly called Bishop to use for his birthday treats for the Primary kids. 
The rest, we donated to a "Christmas Stockings for the Soldiers" project that the elementary school was doing.
It was great to donate the candy and also to get it out of our house so that I wouldn't be tempted! :)

My 6th grader even did her science project about what percentage of Trick-or-Treaters would choose a healthy snack or non-food item over a sugary treat.   And guess what??  Most of them chose a healthy snack or non-food!  So, we really don't have to give out a bunch of sugar each year. 

3 comments:

ATL said...

This is a great idea (that I'm totally stealing for when I have kids). And my parents use to give out the small bags of potato chips which were a neighborhood favorite.

The Glitch Boys said...

What an awesome idea! I usually agree to buy my kid's candy from them, but I should just encourage them to donate like your family did. My mom never liked giving out candy and sometimes we were embarrassed by her offerings. We always joke about her treats one year--pompoms scented with essential oils!

Nora Mair said...

WE passed out beanie babies one year that I had found at a yard sale and talk about a hit! What fun that Reece did that as a science project.